The research conducted in the Earth and Planetary Materials team focuses on the evolution of the materials involved in the formation of the solar system and on the dynamics of planetary interiors. The team applies the concepts, tools and methods of material science and physical metallurgy to problems concerning the structure, dynamics, origin and evolution of planets.
The team is known for its expertise in studying the microstructures of minerals and rocks and their evolution (crystalline defects, phase transitions, transport properties, etc.).
- Study of meteorites by transmission electron microscopy;
- Laboratory analogues (weathering, thermal annealing)
Deformation and internal dynamics
- Mineral deformation and microstructure
- High pressure and high temperature experiments;
- Integration of geophysical measurements in the earth’s mantle or core
OH and atomic diffusion in minerals
- Science / Research
Affiliated institutions / organisations
Unit(s) of attachment
Regional strategic areas of activity
- Chemistry and Materials
- Textiles, composites, materials