The MORPHOMECA platform, inaugurated in 2017, is dedicated to the exploration and morphological analysis of surfaces, from decimal to nanoscale scales.
The objective of the MORPHOMECA platform is to build tools for morphological exploration of the surface, at scales where physical, chemical or biological phenomena appear (cell sizes in biology, abrasive particles in wear, etc.).
This multidisciplinary platform makes it possible to investigate various disciplinary fields (mechanics, chemistry, optics, archaeology, medical, sensory, art, etc.) whose common denominator is the understanding of physical mechanisms at interfaces. Many manufacturers, from TPME to large groups, are using this platform and the associated processing tools to study manufactured surfaces and thus optimize their functionality and physical integrity.
Thanks to these partnerships, the MORPHOMECA platform has the latest innovations in terms of morphological characterization. It brings together a unique set of equipment, combining different dimensional metrological techniques. This multiplicity of methods of morphological characterization makes reliable the measurement of surfaces at each representative scale of phenomena to be observed.
The integration and strong coupling of instrumental techniques allow a geometric description of surfaces from the decimal to the nanoscale scales, without breaking the dimensional continuum.
This platform is part of the Tribosurf regional platform and continues its development through the RITMEA project co-funded by the State, the Hauts-de-France region and the FEDER PO (2021 - 2027)
Le Mont Houy
59313 Valenciennes Cedex 9
Chiffres clésNumber of partnerships: 108
Number of projects per year: 25 of which 15 industrial
Number of benefits per year: 20
Number of project analyses per year: 10
• Search for relevant surface settings
• Functionalization of surfaces
• Surface integrity
• Multi-scale analysis
• Big Data, statistical analysis, deep learning
• Simulation on real surfaces
• Very high definition metrology
Example(s) of projects
UTC, CETIM, CHIMIE.UPS-TLSE, IMFT, UMONTPELLIER, UNIV-RENNES1...
• Research relevant roughness parameters
• Sensory studies and aspects
• Surface Biocompatibility
• Wear measurements and quantification
• Corrosion, protection, electrochemistry
• Manufacturing processes: choice of process parameters for optimal surface area
• Contact, sealing, electrical contact, crown loss
• Thermal contact
• Role of surface texturing on wettability
• Gloss, visual effect, surface texture
• Surface mechanical properties, high-speed measurements, nanoindentation
• Roughness manufacturing monitoring, finding solutions
• Implementation of a deep learning solution to detect defects in production
• Numerical simulations on measured surfaces (thermal, optical, electrical contact, wear, diffusion...)
• Aid in the purchase choice of an appliance, helps in its optimal use within the framework of the desired function
• Surface replications (Patent) for further high quality measurements.
• Mechanical manufacturing (machining, forging, rolling...)
• Luxury industry: watches, leather goods, beauty products, jewellery, eyewear...
• Geology, Botany, Bioinspiration
• Arts, archaeology, paintings, falsification, authentication, restoration, numismatics, digital archiving, on-site measurements...
Analysis of industrial samples and interpretation of results in relation to their business know-how
|Tactile Profilometer||Dektak XT/||Bruker|
|Focus variation microscope||Infinite focus G5/||Alicona|
|Portable Focus Variation Microscope||Infinite Focus Portable RL/||Alicona|
|Focus variation microscope (prototype)||Contour LS-K/||Bruker|
|Interferometer||Newview 7300 /||Zygo|
|Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)||Dimension Edge/||Bruker|
|Environmental Temperature Nano-Indenter||TriboIndenteur HysitronTI980/||Bruker|
|Reflectance Transformation Imaging||Prototype/||Altimet|
Affiliated institutions / organisations
Unit(s) of attachment
Regional strategic areas of activity
- Chemistry and Materials
- Coatings and surface treatments
- Industrial processes engineering, efficient processes
- Cultural and creative industries
- Content production: audiovisual, video game, museum...
- Digital World and Robotics
- Digital modeling, digital twins, data visualization
- Health and Nutrition
- Medicine of the future: new health equipment and e-health
- Transport and Mobility
- Robustness and reliability