Our laboratory focuses on translational research in diabetes and in particular on human islet transplantation and metabolic surgery. Our research objective is to develop innovative therapies for severe forms of diabetes and their clinical application. Our main research axes are: (i) human islet transplantation for the treatment of type 1 diabetes and (ii) treatment of type 2 diabetes by metabolic surgery.
- Gianni Pasquetti
• Gastric Bypass
• Glucose transporters
• Induced pluripotent stem cells
• Human embryonic stem cells
• Islet production and transplantation
• Metabolic surgery
Example(s) of projects
• Optimization of pancreatic islet transplantation by ex vivo hypothermic perfusion of human pancreas.
• Involvement of Treg autoimmune reactivation in type 1 diabetes after clinical islet transplantation.
• Regulation of lysosomal function by nutrients in type 2 diabetes.
• Combining low-dose sulfonylureas with the SGLT2 inhibitor dapagliflozin to improve glycemic control.
Example(s) of publications
Heart and Arteries Foundation, Francophone Diabetes Research Foundation, Francophone Diabetes Society, Association for Diabetes Research
European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes, Catholic University of Louvain (Belgium), Columbia University (United States)
- Health / wellness
- Science / Research
• Production of beta-pancreatic cells from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) and human embryonic stem cells
• Assistance in protocol development
• Development of cell therapies
- Biotherapy platform of 250 m² for the preparation of cell therapies.
- Biochemistry platform
- Histology platform
- Imaging platform
- Epigenetics platform
- Immunophenotyping platform
Our laboratory is fully equipped for project development. Our facilities include:
- Controlled Atmosphere Zone (CAZ)
- Cell culture machines
- Perfusion and perifusion machines
- Microscopes (confocal, inverse, fluorescent, motorized stage)
- Analyzers (CO2, O2, proteins, RNA)
- Incubators, circulating coolers, cryopreservers
- Plate readers, assays
- Rodent anesthesia station...
• Plasmids, siRNA
• Murine models (knock-out, QIVIPA, high fat diet, rats with gastric bypass), pigs
• Biological collections (frozen human islet pellets, human islet RNA, murine and pig tissues (liver, pancreas, intestine, kidney, muscle, fat), human tissues (liver, pancreas, intestine, fat)
Affiliated institutions / organisations
Regional strategic areas of activity
- Health and Nutrition
- New therapeutic approaches