The Department of Mathematics carries out its research activities in the following areas:
• Analysis and numerical resolution of partial differential equations,
• Topological optimization and study of curves and surfaces,
• The history of mathematics, the dissemination and popularization of mathematics, especially for secondary school teachers and students,
• Probabilities and statistics: modelling, description and estimation of random phenomena are studied (experimental designs, Gaussian processes, statistical learning...),
• Sub-variety differential geometry, lamination theory (qualitative and geometric study of differential equations), complex geometry,
• Number theory: Galoisian structure of integer rings in relation to cryptography and code theory.
Le Mont Houy
59300 Valenciennes Cedex 09
Effectif total : 48
Personnel de recherche : 38
Personnel d'appui à la recherche : 0
• Mathematical analysis,
• Scientific calculation,
• Geometric modeling,
• History of Mathematics,
• Popularization of mathematics,
• Geometry of sub-varieties,
• Global analysis,
• Algebraic theory of numbers,
• Probability, statistics.
Example(s) of projects
Example(s) of publications
• D. MERCIER et V. REGNIER, Decay rate of the Timoshenko system with one boundary damping, Evol. Equ. Control Theory, vol. 8, No 2 (2019), 423-445.
• C. DE COSTER et A.J. FERNANDEZ, Existence and multiplicity for an elliptic problem with critical growth in the gradient and sign-changing coefficients, Calculus of Variations and PDE 59 (2020), no. 3, article number 97.
• T. CHAUMONT-FRELET, D. GALLISTL, S. NICAISE et J. TOMEZYK, Wavenumber explicit convergence analysis for finite element discretizations of time-harmonic wave propagation problems with perfectly matched layers, Communications in Mathematical Sciences, 20 (1), 2022, p. 1-52.
• C. CALGARO, C. COLIN and E. CREUSE. A combined finite volume - finite element scheme for a low-Mach system involving a Joule term. AIMS Mathematics, AIMS Press, 2020, 5 (1), pp.311-331.
All publications can be found here : 🡭
Internationales : University of Bologna (Italy). Unversité L'Aquila (Italy). University of Turin (Italy). University of Milan (Italy). University of Trieste, Italy. University of Munich, Germany. University of Hagen, Germany. University of Jena, Germany. University of Ljibljana (Slovenia). Lebanese University (Lebanon). University of Granada (Spain). Free University of Brussels (Belgium). University of Mons, Belgium. University of Iceland, Iceland. Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium. Tsinghua and Nankai Universities, China. Moulay Ismaïl University in Errachidia (Morocco)
- Science / Research
Affiliated institutions / organisations
Regional strategic areas of activity
- Cultural and creative industries
- Applications, outreach and cognitive sciences
- Digital World and Robotics
- Digital modeling, digital twins, data visualization
- Maritime Ambitions
- Protection and development of the coastline
- Transport and Mobility
- Multi-modality, flow management, infrastructure and logistics